A Travellerspoint blog

Around Kinabalu

Rain showers and Leeches

So, after Brunei we decided to head straight to Kinabalu instead of spending the night in KK. We got some good views of the mountain before dark, so we were a little excited about it.
The next day we decided to wait on the mountain and have a day doing some trails to get used to the altitude. The whole valley was constantly being swallowed up by clouds that came rolling in across the sky. It was beautiful. It seemed like a nice enough day, so after we sorted out the day hike, we set off. We walked some nice trails up to the gate, none of them were difficult, and then started down. The weather still seemed ok so we decided to take a different trail on the way down.
We were probably about one third to half way on the trail when it started to rain. It wasn't heavy so we continued on. This carried on for about ten minutes and then the heavens opened up. It started pouring down on us, so caught unawares we tried to hide under some foliage but this didn't work. We were getting soaked so we ran on find better coverage. We found it...kind of! A large tree had fallen over and the base was sticking out of the ground so we hid under it. This didn't really solve anything as there was holes in between the roots and we were crouched over, like on a squatter. After 15 minutes of this our legs were killing us and being no drier, we ran. We were already as wet as we could get and the path had literally turned into a river, so it was hard to see roots and holes. We ran, splashed and tripped our way off the path. It felt like it took forever, we never realised the trail would be that long, it didn't look that long on the map.
Eventually we we found the road and there was a restaurant with an overhang, which we promptly ran under. I should mention that we were only in t-shirts and shorts with no ponchos or raincoats.
Huddling under the overhang a group of Asians (we think Singapore) came out to catch their minivan. They stared and laughed, but they were nice and gave us two ponchos to wear. A bit late, but we took them gladly as we still had some walking to do to get down the mountain.
It was at this point I realised I had acquired a little companion...a leech. It was quite small and on my ankle. It was firmly attached and getting larger. I could feel it sucking at my ankle if I focused on it. It was a little strange, and so with the Singaporeans gone, and elderly group emerged from the restaurant. They were very interested in the leech. One old man suggested salt and then walked back into the restaurant to retrieve some. His wife wanted to take a picture so I lifted me foot to oblige. While she was preparing the shot her other friend walked over and stuck her fingernail under the leeches mouth...and flicked. I was shocked by the action, especially as the leech only came half off so she had to flick it again. Rank! This time she succeeded and it went flying, the wife was unimpressed. Then the husband came back with the salt so I had to tell him we didn't need it anymore. I felt bad watching him walk back into the restaurant...slowly.
With all that excitement over, and my ankle bleeding a little we decided to continue down the mountain. The rest of the day was uneventful as it rained until nightfall. We also spent the other days in the mountain relaxing after we did the hike.

Posted by blarfengar 04:17 Archived in Malaysia Tagged kinbalu

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint